Sunday, August 26, 2007

Save the world Sunday

I started reading Green as a Thistle after hearing Hanna talk about it, and I realized that there are "green" choices that I already consciously (and unconsciously make) on a regular basis, and I'm open to simple changes that help the environment... but I'd prefer not to change my quality of life (and my appliances and vehicle are directly tied to it!).. so even smaller baby steps will be happening in my life... And, yes, I did steal Hanna's catchy title!

  • I'm switching over to Method products as I run out of the other ones (so far I have bathroom cleaners, dish soap, wood cleaner, leather cleaner and dryer sheets). I love how they smell and they work just as good (even better in some cases). I cleaned my bathroom from top to bottom and it's sparkley and all eucalyptus minty!!

  • I'm starting to switch over to organic produce and milk (if I can find it), because it's better for my body and Blair's and for future bodies to come. Next summer I am going to attempt a garden again...


  • I'm using 100% acrylic low VOC paint on my walls (the laundry room, entry room, office, living room and guest room are all in my current re-painting radar). We're also tiling our backsplash, but that has nothing to do with green anything, just making my kicthen pretty.

  • I made my OWN fabric grocery bags (and they're pretty and I used a plastic bag as my pattern). It would have been way cheaper to buy them (even the pretty envirosax, or the ones that say "fu%@ plastic"), but Blair figured I should do it myself, well he doesn't really know how much fabric costs and it's not like I own any fabric, so I had to go buy it all, so a metre of pretty fabric + a metre of lining fabric to make a bag adds up pretty quickly... I also used my favourite tablcloth that got a bit of ink on it, so that helped a bit cost wise, but they're still about 2x the price! But I guess I didn't have to have them shipped to me...

  • I'm actually using my compost bin, and we recylce as much as we can (but currently Cranbrook has no plastics recycling aside from the bottle depot... so a lot more things are going in the garbage)... this might not seem like a big deal... but really, the garbage is the closest thing to me when I'm cooking so things are far more likely to end up in it, unless I make a conscious decision to recycle or compost it (and I seriously HATE fruite flies).

7 comments:

Hanna said...

you're such a follower :P

Hey, can I have a bag? Hmmm? I'll trade you...something!

barb said...

We sure can make a trade... I saw really pretty fabric with origami cranes on it, but it's lilac...

What's yer new #, can you email it to me @ bstevenson @ telus.net

Karenee said...

Oooh, pretty! I use grocery bags for trash bags, so I can't stop getting them at the store... can I? *grin*

Hanna said...

karen - I just wash my trash cans every week or two...maybe it's a bit gross but I don't like the look of bags in them anyway. Oh, not my kitchen one, but that takes a big bag anyway

Jen said...

Barb! Those bags are BEAUTIFUL! I think I'm hopping on this make-a-bag bandwagon after we're in our new place. I'm also going to make veggie bags to eliminate all the plastic bags from that.

Hanna- no garbage bag. Marvelous. The thought's never even crossed my mind.

barb said...

Karen - As good as my intentions are I refuse to buy plastic bags for my kichen and bathroom garbages, so I will still on occasion to getting plastic at the grocery store, I don't have enough bags made yet for a big grocery shop (though I will be making more tonight)...

Karenee said...

LOL I take the grocery bags and hang them up next to my kitchen garbage can, because it's just too bothersome to lift the lid and stuff a large bag in. Besides, the kids can carry out the little bags. If I ever start washing my trash cans out regularly, Hanna, you can know that I have achieved house-cleaning perfection.