Monday, September 3, 2007

Millions of Peaches

Thanks to A. Val for planting the peach canning seed in my head, because now I really, really want to... BUT (there always seems to be one...) I've been reading about fruits and veggies and organic vs. non-organic and all that fun-killing, life-improving stuff on the Environmental Working Group (EWG) website and their list of pesticide laden produce to avoid buying non-organic and the stuff that is fine to buy non-organic... and well here comes the biggest BUT of all: PEACHES are #1 on the list of things to either avoid or buy organically... I'm not sure if I've ever seen an organic peach and I doubt I can afford buying enough organic peaches to can should I ever find them. So unless there are any organic fruit stands in Creston I figure I'm out of luck...

I love canned peaches SO much, there pretty much the only thing I will eat when I'm sick... and well since I may have lots of nausea in my near future I'm going to want lots of canned peaches in my pantry... but I don't really think that pesticide soaked peaches will be the best thing to put into my body when that time comes...

Onions have the lowest pesticide load... maybe I'll can those with lots of sugar instead...

And just so you know... Apples are the #2 worst offender out of the 43 tested... so I'll be buying those organic too from now on...

2 comments:

Hanna said...

hmm...pity about the peach popsicles I just made...

maybe you can get organic peaches in Creston and the fruit stands?

Hanna said...

Mom confirms the existence of organic peaches..they do cost more of course