Sunday, March 1, 2009

I hate packing!

So we leave for Hawaii in 10 days, which means I have to get my list making on so that I can get my pack on… I know what I would ideally bring…but with bag #1 costing $15 and bag #2 costing $25 and Micah not getting his own checked luggage (though I DO need to  double check this…) because he is a lap baby… we need to pack a little differently than we did for Vancouver (um, yeah we won’t be bringing a baby swing, gigantic jogging stroller, rubbermaid tote of fun, etc…)

We’ve decided to rent a highchair, play pen and stroller while we’re there to cut down on extra bags but we will be bringing our car seat and it’s base (these can thankfully be gate checked, and the car seat it airplane rated, so I’m going to inquire about extra seats when we check in… some airlines make you pay, some don’t… or maybe it depends on who you talk to…)

Kait… what did you pack for Kitten? She’s older so I know the lists will be a bit different but any tips would be helpful… what did you bring that you didn’t need, what did you wish you had, what did you end up buying? How many toys/books should I pack? How on earth do you entertain a lap baby??

Tonight I started making lists, and filling travel bottles with shampoo, etc. and finding the travel toothpaste and gathering all the travel organizational bags that we have… I’m gong to do a dry run pack to make sure Micah’s stuff will fit in a carry-on suitcase.

My suitcase will be probably the lightest it’s ever been… I learned from our 2 trips last year that I only wear about a 1/3 of what I bring, so this time I PROMISE to pack less… I also own less clothes now that fit me… like I have 2 tanks tops, 2 summer skirts, 1 pair of jean capris, 1 sundress, 1 pair of board shorts and a bathing suit that sorta fits me… I will be doing some shopping in Calgary to bulk up my summer wardrobe, but still it’s not possible to pack the way I did pre-pregnancy!! Luckily flip flops don’t take up lots of room and I can hike comfortably in my Chaccos, so I don’t think I’ll bring hiking boots (Blair will have to wear his on the plane… oh FUN!)

Micah’s list is by far the longest, but all his stuff is small, so it should fit into a carry-on size suitcase… which will end up being Blair’s carry-on… lucky him! He usually only bring the laptop bag… so the laptop will go in my carry-on or maybe we can work something out with the in-laws…

It will be Seth’s birthday while we’re there, so I’m bringing my 9” cake pans of all things, because he requested a rainbow cake a la Omnomicon, and I doubt the condo will have cake pans…

Oh dern… we need to fit our stupid snorkel gear it our bags too! It’s a good thing Blair is only planning on diving once, his dive gear is bulky and heavy!!

1 comment:

Kait said...

For the plane, we took a small colouring book and a few crayons, a dollarstore magna doodle (the best thing we took), a board book, a matchbox car, a few snacks, her lovey and soother, and a bottle with some milk. Oh, and Rob's net book, loaded up with Yo Gabba Gabba. For the most part, she was happy to colour and play with the magna doodle. I think what really helped was that all the toys were new, she had never seen them before. In our checked luggage, we took a couple more cars, a few very small bath toys and a small wooden puzzle. If the airline offers blankets, I'm sure that your little guy would love to play peek-a-boo and make a "tent" over your seat.

The only thing that we bought for Kitten out of necessity was more diapers. I thought that our full package would be enough, but we ended up doing a lot more diaper changes than we had planned on (changing after swimming, etc.). We paid $9 USD for a package of $10 Huggies... so keep a little extra $$ set aside just in case. We probably could have *just* made it home without the extra package, but we didn't want to take the chance.

What airline are you flying? We flew westjet, and didn't have to worry about baggage fees.

If you're traveling with or meeting family down there, you'll probably need less toys than you think. At least we didn't find that she was needing more toys. Rob's mom had packed probably 6 books, so between that and the toys listed above, that's all she had.

Do you have the Munchkin Diaper Duck, or diaper disposal bags? I recommend them - it will keep your place in Hawaii from stinking to high heaven, and it's good to have on the plane, in case you have to wrap up something extra stinky. Make sure you take at least 2 changes of clothes for M... Younger babies tend to have diaper blow-outs on planes due to altitude changes and stuff. So just in case.

We took a change of clothes for each day we were there for Kitten, plus a few extra things like sweaters and pants, in case it was cold (we used the sweaters, not the pants). If you have sunglasses that he'll wear, that would be good too.

As for entertainment on the plane... well, you hope he sleeps, you just keep switching his toys, and you let him stand up between the two of you, or you play musical laps. If Blair is carrying on his laptop, I would load up his favorite shows, and if worst comes to worst... You turn that on.

Have lots of fun - I can't wait to see your pictures!