Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Matcha Ice Cream


I love green tea ice cream so much, but often find that it tastes a bit like, well, grass. So when I decided to make some for our big sushi party last night, I knew that I needed to tone down the earthy taste. I wanted it to taste more like vanilla ice cream and green tea got together and made a delicious ice cream baby!

I hate messing around with custard based ice creams and that is all Father Google would show me, so I went to my tried & true vanilla base (thanks to Heather Bailey) and managed to get EXACTLY what I hoped for.

We served the green tea ice cream with a chocolate buttermilk cake (from this cookbook). One of my friends brought apple pie and store bought vanilla ice cream and I was afraid no one would eat my weird green ice cream but ... everyone tried it and most liked MY ice cream BETTER! Take that Breyers! (Sarah is probably rolling her eyes at me right about now!)

Matcha Ice Cream

2 c whipping cream
1 c whole milk
3/4 c sugar *
1 T vanilla
1/4 t salt

2 T boiling water
2 t matcha **

1 mini cocoa camino green tea chocolate bar, chopped

Whisk together whipping cream, milk, vanilla and salt.
Stir matcha into boiling water. Cool.
Pour matcha into milk mixture.
Freeze according to your ice cream maker's preference (I usually let mine run for about 30 min total, adding the chopped chocolate roughly halfway through).

This is the perfect amount for a KitchenAid Ice Cream maker.

* I used organic cane sugar and found that I needed to slightly heat the milk in order to dissolve the sugar.

** If you don't mix the matcha in the boiling water it just clumps into little balls in the milk mixture (even if it's been heated!), which mine did, so I strained it and added more mixed with boiling water. I ended up with little matcha bits that didn't strain out and they added texture in an okay way.

---

When making the base, I have used many dairy variations all with good success. As long as you have 3 cups and you have most of it being high in fat it has a great consistency. I have used table cream (18%) instead of the milk and also half & half (10%), but the whole milk also makes a really nice ice cream and less random creams to use up (i just make more ice cream and have several flavours in the freezer).
I don't know if I would try skim milk... maybe when Micah is older and I'm not buying whole milk anymore I'll give it a try.

I have used this base to make strawberry, peach, chili chocolate, and now matcha.

I want to try it with goat's milk soon so that it will be better for Blair. I'm not sure what to mix in that will work with the tanginess of goat milk. Also I'm not sure if the goat's milk will have enough fat to produce a creamy enough ice cream.

No comments: