Sunday, May 15, 2011

15) Start my own business - besquare 06/26/10



I gotta thank Martha for the inspiration and Shim+Sons for showing me that it could actually work. I had made a pinboard for myself and had been asked by several friends to please, please make them one for their birthday. After numerous compliments and several requests I decided that mine were different enough and went ahead and decided to sell them at the Farmer's Market along with our yummy honey! I already had all the materials lying around and was already paying a table fee for the honey so there wasn't anything to lose!

photo credit: Len Knudsen

I sold one the very first day and all of my honey. And then it went in spurts. But always the compliments on how nice they were. And so pretty. And I want one, but I should think about it. Lots of the people who came and started at them week after week did eventually buy them. But Farmer's Markets are not where people buy pretty things. They come to buy things grown in dirt! Or that their children beg for (the tutu lady had a great summer!). But I did sell all but 2 of the ones I had made at the beginning of the summer. I wasn't frustrated or discouraged.

photo credit: Len Knudsen

photo credit: Len Knudsen

Hanna, Jen, Joel & I had all decided to do a craft fair together in Nelson in November. I made lots of bulletin boards because I had signed up for the Farmer's Market Winter Fair the following weekend too. I made extra pins. I made lots of fabric flowers (because they're pretty).

photo credit: Len Knudsen

In Nelson, I sold all but three bulletin boards. Our tables were crowded, and often I had too many people at the table to talk too. Wow. So much for making enough for the next weekend! So I spent the next week making more. And writing report cards. Nelson people appreciate handmade!

photo credit: Len Knudsen

The Farmer's Market Winter Market went good. Not gangbusters like Nelson, but still worth my while. I had honey with me and of course that sold out and made it worth my while. But I sold over half of what I brought down, so I'm glad I made more boards. And I was also relieved to have a few boards on hand for Christmas and birthday presents.

I'll still bring them to the market with me when I have honey. And I will definitely do the Nelson market again. I might even try to do one of their Market Fest evenings especially if Hanna or Jen want to set up with me. When I don't have honey and want a change of scenery I'll probably head over to Creston and see what I sell at their Farmer's Market.

I often wear the flowers I made in my hair to work. It has paid off! One of my co-workers wants me to bring some in because she'd like to buy a few!

I have to decided if I want to get into Etsy or not. I should probably throw a few things up there since I do have an empty Etsy store just sitting there...

No comments: